Friday, October 17, 2008

Menthe a l'eau

Things in Saint Etienne are going really well. This week has actually been a really fun one, especially because of the 13 hours I was scheduled to teach, I only actually taught 9. And those 9 hours include two extra hours I put in at the collège (middle school) out of the goodness of my heart. I literally had 50% of my classes cancelled this week! Plus I already have two hours cancelled on Monday morning, so my 11 hour work week next week is also already 9! Pretty tough life I live, I know.

That being said, I'm sure you're wondering (maybe not) how on earth I'm managing to occupy my time! Basically, it's been a mix of shopping at Auchan (huge Walmart-like store), sitting endlessly at cafés, watching the entire series of House on my computer, walking around Saint Etienne all day, and going out at night.

The first activity, Auchan runs, sound about as much fun as they are. Though Auchan is wonderful because I can find basically everything I could ever need, the trips are tiring. Not only does it take 30 minutes to choose garbage bags, I am then stuck carrying all of my purchases home. When I wrote about Ikea, I forgot one other thing I bought there, this beautiful blue bag! I now use it as my shopping bag. Seeing as how Corinne can actually fit in it, you can imagine that it can get heavy! Then I climb the hill and two flights of stairs to my apartment, and I feel like I need a nap. For these reasons, Auchan trips are becoming fewer and further between!

If Auchan trips are becoming less and less, cafe visits are becoming more and more frequent. Though there are probably over a hundred cafes in St Etienne, all offering the same basic things, I've been sticking mainly to the cafes in centre ville, especially those at the Place du Peuple, a beautiful open square close to my apartment. This week I decided to get adventurous at the cafe and rather than ordering my usual "un cafe s'il vous plait" ordered a menthe a l'eau. Those of you that took French class with Madame Straub in middle school know what I'm talking about. Basically, it's water (I prefer it with fizzy water) with mint syrup! Sounds gross, but it's actually very refreshing and delicious! Too bad as the warm sunny days are fading, so will my taste for this yummy refreshment!


This photo shows all that I accomplished on Wednesday. And I truly mean ALL I accomplished. I managed to trick the BNP (my bank here) into giving me my Carte Bleue (my french debit card), which is beyond exciting! Now each time I buy something I won't get sympathetic looks for having to use a different kind of card that must be swiped rather than simply inserted into the machine. Additionally, I managed to order a menthe a l'eau with Perrier and got exactly what I wanted (not even including a strange look from the server when I ordered it wrong). Later that night I went to see Vicky Christina Barcelona, which I actually really liked! I'm looking forward to next week when I can go see another movie, I'm just not the type of girl who goes to the cinema twice in one week.

During all of this sitting and walking and drinking minty things, I have been required to introduce myself countless times to faces I'll never possibly remember. The students were asked to prepare questions for me and I've heard everything from "Do you prefer Obama or McCain?" (tough question) to "Do you have a lover?" (delivered by a 13 year old boy). However, since the kids don't truly care about me or Wisconsin (why couldn't I be from California?) I like to bring up American rappers and TV shows to get them fired up. Turns out, as far as TV goes, these kids have the same taste as me! For some classes Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy, 'Doctor House', and One Tree Hill were some of the only comprehensible words I spoke in an hour long class. These kids LOVE American TV. One student asked me today if I knew how to do the soulja boy dance. I (regretably) said yes. You can't imagine the excitement! A few minutes later, I managed to talk my way out of actually performing the dance without music in front of 31 fifteen year old French kids....mostly I think I just confused them so much they forgot about my hidden talent. Thank goodness I have that power!

I am surprised at how quickly I have become accustomed to life in Saint Etienne. One of the secretaries at the lycée today asked me how it felt to be so far from home, thinking that it must not be easy. I thought about it for a second before telling her that actually I feel very much at home in St E. I love my apartment, I love my new friends, and I truly love this city. Though I really do miss my friends and family in the US, I feel like this is exactly where I should be right now. I am happy and comfortable. I can't believe I've been here for a month already! I remember a month ago saying how I couldn't wait until November when I'd have everything figured out, and now here I am, at that point I was dying to reach!

With the rest of my time (still plenty!) I've been going to some bars here in St. Etienne. I haven't even been to Lyon yet which I can't believe! The bars here are great, pretty cheap, and it's nice to just go and hang out! I haven't found the French Axel's or Vitucci's yet, though I think I'm getting closer.

This week the assistant who was teaching at my school 2 years ago is in town...which is really strange. But he's nice, and we've been going out with a series of different people all week. Needless to say, as it's now 11:30 I'm past due to meet him and some of the teachers from Lycee Georges Brassens out at the Irish pub in town!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So i was wondering do french ppl not work like american ppl . . . I know that if i was not working i would not have any money. . . Are you still getting payed or are you collecting chicken eggs for cash cause i know you would love to do that :) Andrew

Kim said...

French people do NOT work like American people, that's for sure. Even the 'real' teachers at my school only have to teach around 20 hours a week. I am getting paid, but only for 12 hours a week which doesn't amount to much. So if you feel like donating to the cause, feel free! ;) I don't see working with chickens in my near future, though I do have to walk past a pen of chickens on my climb up the mountain to the lycee...not a good way to start a day!

Anonymous said...

YOU HAD MENTHE A LEAU.


Thats one thing that You can put on a list of silly things I need to do when I visit. You know how much I used to love that word in 8th grade french!

:)

Also-does this post imply that you are hanging out with that guy!? the mean one (i cant remember his name now) starts with an A...