Monday, December 8, 2008

Boule à Neige, Boule à Neige, Boule à Neige d'Hiver!

The Christmas season is finally upon us, and Lord knows I'm one to be in a festive mood. Problem is, in Saint Etienne there's no snow. To me, it still feel like I'm months away from Christmas when in reality, I've only weeks to go!

Though there is no snow in Saint Etienne, that doesn't mean the Stephanois aren't in the Christmas spirit. We have a Marche de Noel complete with vin chaud, colorful chalets selling everything from dried meats to jewelry, and its very own ferris wheel! I counted down the days before the grand opening, and when the day finally came, I couldn't have possibly been more excited. So far I've gone no less than four times, which means I've consumed no less than four glasses of delicious vin chaud. More to come in the weeks ahead. Truth be told, I'm fairly certain the vin chaud lady (my new best friend) already recognizes us. I guess I can't really blame her for taking notice of the goofy Americans who are giddy at the sight of her delicious product. Just know that if it is between the hours of 10 and 7 France time, chances are I'm either at the Marche de Noel or am thinking about going to the Marche de Noel. It's pretty much the happiest place on earth!

In addition to the marvel that is the Marche de Noel, this region of France has some other special traditions for the month of December. One of which is the Fete des Lumieres in Lyon. This consists of millions of people crammed together in the center of Lyon looking at lights projected onto beautiful old buildings. I went yesterday for a few hours, and I'm glad I saw it, but I can't say it was the happiest place on earth.

Another, dare I say BETTER, tradition takes place today le 8 decembre in the region. This particular date commemorates the day the Virgin Mary came to heal the Lyonnais of the Plague. As the story goes, the people who were suffering from this disease placed candles outside, on their windowsills to notify the Virgin Mary that they needed healing. Now, every December 8th, the people of the region put candles on their windowsills and say a prayer. I, of course, being the good Stephanoise that I am, followed suit. Mathilde, Jean, and I each lit a candle, put them on our balcony, and said a little prayer.

Just like in the US, Christmas trees are all the rage here. Apparently, in our apartment, Charlie Brown Christmas trees are all the rage. Mathilde brought us back this tree after a weekend in the country with her family. We couldn't be more proud of our pathetic little sapin de noel!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gosh--that is kind of a sad looking tree but at least you have one!!! I'm happy to hear you are enjoying the holiday season. Although not having been to St Etienne, so I can't compare, the happiest place on earth to me is Disney World and if I were there during the holiday season it couldn't get any better : ) I love you.