Tuesday, December 23, 2008

First impressions

I'm in America. WEIRD. Since I've spent most of my first day here asleep, I've only noticed a couple of things.

1. It's COLD. As a matter of fact, when I got here it was about 50 degrees colder than it was in Saint Etienne when I left.

2. I'm literally afraid to drive. It doesn't help that there's so much snow on the ground that I can't imagine there's really earth underneath. It also doesn't help that it snowed all morning and there was a 10 car pileup on the highway. Without all of those things, call me crazy, but I think I'd still be scared to drive.

3. I'm going to miss French and French people. I like the language. I like the nuances of it. I like the people and their silly ways, even if they drive me crazy most of the time. I'm pretty sure people in general drive me crazy most of the time. After 30 minutes in the airport in Detroit I was already sick of Midwesterners and pulled out Le Monde.

4. My family is ridiculous. When we were in the car on the way back from the airport I had a moment where I felt like we were in some crazy movie like Home for the Holidays or A Christmas Story. Just your average ridiculous Midwest family, all packed into a car like sardines, all yelling at the dad.

5. I prefer my bed in Saint Etienne.

6. I love pickles.

7. I did a great job cleaning my room over the summer before I left for France, and I appreciate all that hard work now.

That's all for now. More observations to come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where has Kim gone.

Keep looking for updates!

Calendar Lady